How Much Is a Manicure? Prices in US & CA
Published on: Oct 14, 2022 • 5 min read
A manicure is a great way to enhance your look and make your natural nails look beautiful.
But if you’re new to the world of manicures, you might wonder, how much should I expect to pay for a manicure?
Manicures can range from $20 to $75. The price depends on many factors, from the type of nail polish used to where you get your nails done.
Keep reading to find out more about how much a manicure is!
What Affects the Price of Manicure?
Manicures typically start at $20 for a basic manicure, but the price can go up to $75 or more in some cases.
This is quite an extensive range. Why? Because several essential factors go into the final manicure cost.
Here are some of the critical things to keep in mind.
The Nail Salon
If you go to a brand new nail salon, they may not charge high prices because they’re trying to get new clientele.
There may also be newbie nail techs that don’t have a whole lot of experience.
High-end salons with experienced nail technicians, on the other hand, will charge quite a bit more. (And, sometimes, they set their own prices based on experience.)
These salons are likely to have a slew of manicure services to enhance your experience, too, which can drive up the cost.
The Type of Nail Polish
When you go to get your nails professionally done by a nail technician, they will ask you what type of manicure you want. Right off of the bat, this can be confusing.
Here’s a quick breakdown of the most common nail services and how much they cost.
- Basic manicure. A basic manicure focuses on the natural nail bed. It involves nail shaping, buffing, and trimming, followed by regular nail polish (if desired). Cuticle oil is typically applied, too. A standard manicure typically costs $20.
- Gel manicure. This type of manicure utilizes gel nail polish. It’s highly sought after because gel polish lasts longer than regular polish and looks ultra-glossy and beautiful. They typically cost $40.
- Acrylic manicure. Acrylic manicures involve many steps. The nail tech will need to create the acrylic nail before painting and styling. Depending on the desired nail shape and length, acrylic nails can easily cost $50 to $100.
- Shellac manicure. Shellac manicures are a type of nail treatment similar to gel nails but easier on the nail beds (with an easier removal process). They last a relatively long time. Pricing for these nails start at $40.
- French tips. A French manicure follows the same steps as regular manicures. The only difference is the nail color. The base is colored beige, while the tips are a stark white (an American manicure is softer). The manicure cost for French tips is typically $30.
- Repairs. Repairs and fill-ins, such as broken acrylics or outgrowth, should cost less than $30.
Whether you get a regular manicure, gel nails, acrylic nails, or another type of deluxe manicure, the price will instantly skyrocket with nail art.
Now, the price of nail art will depend mainly on the style you choose.
A basic design, such as a heart, may only be a few dollars per hand.
A more elaborate design or pattern can cost $10 or more per hand.
It’s important to discuss how much extra money your nail technician will charge for artwork.
The last thing to consider is any “add-ons.”
Most salons have extras that you can add to your professional manicure.
For example, moisturizing treatment is requested for $5-10. This treatment uses light oil or lotion to hydrate dry skin and improve nail growth.
You can also ask for something known as paraffin wax, which takes moisturizing to the next level.
Want a manicure and pedicure done at the same time? Many people get them done simultaneously, but the price will be higher. That’s because a lot goes into a pedi, such as a foot soak, scrub with a pumice stone, and more.
Although you might get a “deal,” you should expect to pay anywhere around $100.
How Much Is a Manicure in the US?
The average price of a manicure in the United States ranges from $20 to $100.
While the price is based chiefly on desired types of manicures, location is another significant factor.
Although New York is known for its expensive beauty treatments, the average cost is lower.
You can easily find standard manicures for $10, although you may need to pay more if you already have polish on your nails.
The nail tech will need to use nail polish remover and a few extra steps, raising the price to $20.
A deluxe manicure is going to be pricier but still not shocking. Most nails won’t cost over $70.
LA is another place with relatively low-priced manicures, although this can depend on where in LA.
The average cost for nails ranges from $10-$60.
How Much Does a Manicure Cost in Canada?
Are you wondering about the cost of nails in Canada?
If you want a standard treatment with a nail buffer and getting your nails trimmed and painted, it will cost around $20.
Other treatments, such as gel manicures or acrylics using an acrylic mixture, can cost up to $100 or more.
You can find very cheap places to get your nails painted. Some offer a dry manicure for less than $10. Other salons that are fancier may charge $40.
Deluxe treatments, like gel and acrylic, can easily cost over $50.
Montreal tends to have a higher price tag. You can expect to pay about $10 more per treatment.
How Much is a Gel Manicure?
A gel mani typically costs $10 to $20 more than a “regular” mani, with prices starting at $30 to $40.
How Much Do You Tip for Manicure?
The most common amount is 20% off the final price, but you can get by with 15%.